Monday 30 July 2012

Movie Monday: Where The Wild Things Are

For this weeks film I have chosen Spike Jonze's adaptation of the popular children's book 'Where The Wild Things Are' by Maurice Sendak.  In case you haven't read the book, the story is about a little boy Max who is unhappy with his life in the real world so runs away, creating a world of his own with beautiful scenery and strange creatures. Max makes himself King of this world and with the help of the creatures attempts to create a paradise where none of the problems of the real world exist. However through the dialogue and interactions with his new friends we see that this is not so easy.

The music makes the film for me - perhaps because some of it is by Arcade Fire (my favourite band). However the set, costumes and cinematography also perfectly capture the simplicity and freedom of childhood. I like that as an audience we remain unsure whether the whole of Max's experience is real or imagined - as this helps to give the story a magical touch.

A great film for both children and adults - it will make you long for an adventure!





"Inside all of us... is a wild thing!"

2 comments:

  1. I love Arcade Fire ! This movie let me discover them :) x


    D a n i e l l e | daniellewu.com
    ps. I am hosting a giveaway on my blog and I would love it if you won! :) Enter to win artwork by Mui-ko!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good film! and lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete